Workplace climate has been a prime factor in employee performance, and it directly helps the company conquer the market issues. The workplace culture directly influences by the working pattern of employees and the management of the company.
Organizational sustainability depends upon employee satisfaction, as they are the working capital. The company needs to improve the active pattern by better coordinate with the employee in the operating procedure to improve productivity. The culture of the workplace is framed by the individual attitude and belief of the individual linked. The culture is also affected by both the input and output operational aspects of the company.
What constitutes workplace culture?
Workplace climate is the working of the employees in the corporate setting, which is affected by organizational norms, values, or working patterns. Different aspect impacts the workplace culture of any company that dd positiveness in a working way. The prime elements are innovation, risk-taking, attention to detail, outcome orientation, people orientation, team orientation, aggressiveness, and stability. A set format helps frame the organization’s culture; it includes four chief aspects that form the excellent workplace culture’s backbone.
The four chief aspects are mission, adaptability, involvement, and consistency in the working practice. It helps to improve the workplace service delivery approach and orientation of the company. Both external and internal factors influence the workplace culture, so the company needs to control both elements to improve workplace culture. Workplace culture is a descriptive approach that involved employees’ perceived approach toward the values of the company. Leadership and critical thinking are two essential aspects, and they influence workplace culture. Both of the elements improve company performance by satisfying employee needs.
As an HR student, you would most likely be given an essay or dissertation as a part of your curriculum. If you have been looking for some essay help online for topics such as employee performance or workplace culture, then this blog will be of great help.
What are the types of workplace cultures?
The workplace culture approach differs as per the style adopted by the employees. The different procedures can be utilized to improve the performance of the company by increasing the positive aspect. The workplace culture uses the individual from distinct hierarchy groups: top management, management, employee, and other staff members.
- One of the workplace cultures is the authoritarian culture, and it implies that power is related to one. This culture promotes the delegation of the ability to top management. This culture is advantageous as leaders are more aware of the company’s advantage, but it negatively impacts employee satisfaction.
- The second includes the participative culture that increases the employee liability for their action, enhancing their power and responsibility toward the company. Participative culture promotes employee participation in the decision-making process, and they equally participate in every activity. The supremacy of the participated cultural practice is due to its positive approach that includes the employee to feel valued and disadvantage is it can increase conflict.
- Mechanistic culture is the third approach in the workplace, and it is the bureaucratic approach. The mechanistic culture showcases a more central and formulated flow of authority and communication at the workplace. The participation is limited to the individual specialization that improves departmental performance but blocks innovation in the workplace.
- Organic culture promotes the free flow of information between the employee, and it is a fair approach for widespread communication. According to workplace culture, the workplace does not follow the norms and guidelines for decision making with any company employee. Instead, it focuses on teamwork, task completion, or better communication. The advantage of organic culture is the better performance of the employee. But it can increase the risk for the ethical dilemma at the workplace.
- The subculture approach is the last approach that promotes the different cultural practices adopted by the organization’s departments. The other department is the organizations are free to adopt their working patter as per their perspective. The advantage of the approach is it improves the departmental freedom of the employee. Still, on the other hand, it decreases interdepartmental communication.
The different workplace climate has their perspective toward the working pattern and handling of the employee. The workplace needs to evaluate both advantages and disadvantages of every approach. It improves the understanding of the right method that be adopted to improve employee performance.
How positive or negative is a workplace culture impact?
The approaches cannot be tagged as a negative or positive approach as per understanding. Its effectiveness depends entirely on management and employee interaction at the workplace. The workplace needs to understand that customers are prime for their profit margins, but before that employee “the makers” should be equally respected. The working culture of a workplace affects individual practice. Still, it also influences the departmental performance leading to company performance in the market. Every workplace adopts a different approach as per the product or the services delivered by them and the type of working pattern they have adopted to work sustainability.
Adverse workplace climate has a deteriorating effect on the employee, as it enhances dissatisfaction leading to poor performance. The negative workplace culture increases the chances of resistance toward the change that can improve employee performance. The negative culture also increases the risk for poor teamwork as the individual wants to work alone that decreases productivity.
Negligence toward workplace work also enhances when the employee encounters negative workplace culture, leading to poor performance. The negative workplace culture also increases employee turnover, and it will negatively impact company performance. The lack of trust is one of the impacts of the hostile workplace climate. An employee is dissatisfied with the organizational working pattern leading to a negative approach.
Positive workplace culture directly helps the organization add extra efforts from the employee side, improving the performance and positively impacting the organization’s profit margins. The optimistic workplace culture encourages employees to communicate and put forward their perspective, improving the organizational vision to reach customers better. Collaboration between the team and the department is enhanced after the adoption of positive workplace culture.
Employee retention also increases when they work in a positive working climate that allows them to participate in decision-making. The favorable workplace climate also reduces the risk of the stress or anxiety related to the workplace as an employee can express their issue and can avail assistance. The bright workplace culture increases the employee’s opportunity to grow, enhancing the performance that positively impacts organization productivity.
What are the approaches to establish a positive workplace culture?
A positive workplace climate is essential for both employees and organizations to add quality to the working pattern that improves customer satisfaction. Some of the approaches that can be adopted to add a positive approach toward workplace climate include
- Positive value adoption
- Employee empowerment
- Productive atmosphere
- Clear communication
- Sense of humor in the workplace
- Flexibility at the workplace
- Respect and compassion at the workplace
- Cooperative working approach
- Positive reinforcement
- Reward system
These approaches can help to increase employee participation in company decision making. It improves employee performance with company productivity. Suppose you are searching for a working culture. In that case, I hope this article helped you understand both sides of the coin and its impact on employee performance.